Saltaire History On Facebook

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons

The 400yr old Old Silent Inn at Stanbury was renamed after the pub in a book by successful Shipley author, Halliwell Sutcliffe (1870-1932). Previously the Eagle, the inn was a hideout for Bonnie Prince Charlie and was a popular boozer when the Brontës lived in nearby Haworth. Somewhat forgotten, Halliwell wrote 30 novels. He died at his White Abbey home in Linton. ... See MoreSee Less

Comment on Facebook

Halliwell Sutcliffe was the son of John Sutcliffe headmaster of Bingley Grammar School and wrote two of his novels whilst living at Castlefields lHouse in Crossflatts

Momentous Day Official opening of Saltaire toilets after 4 years closure.
For one day only, special edition upcycled free toilet paper in honour of the re-opening of the Saltaire toilets. Thanks a million Shipley Town Council.
... See MoreSee Less

Comment on Facebook

Great news. Thank you Shipley Town Council. Now our World Heritage Site has got an amenity it deserves…..and needs. 🙌

Finally 🎉🍾

Blimey..where did you widdle in the meantime?

Exciting stuff

Yeah and not before time 👍

Finally

View more comments

Titus Salt’s rules were broken with impunity by the Saltaire WI when they met for the first time since March 2020. Prosecco flowed yesterday evening in the Grade 11 listed park in breach of rule 10 - no intoxicating drinks allowed and overlooked by Titus Salt’s statue. The Shipley stocks located in the park may come in handy yet. A great evening was had by one and all, thank you Saltaire WI. ... See MoreSee Less

Titus Salt had numerous business interests, not only in Saltaire and Bradford. For example, he owned Goitstock Mill at Harden Beck. An astute businessman, this 19th century millionaire had eggs in many baskets. ... See MoreSee Less

Comment on Facebook

Kath Spillane

When will there be walks I can join.pls

A window in Eldwick Church remembers Charles Wainwright who died in 1920. Stabbed by his father Harrison aged 78, a father of ten, Charles crawled for help to the nearby sanatorium, but died. He was buried in Bingley cemetery with his mother, who was also horribly slaughtered that night with a butcher’s knife and hatchet. Harrison was incarcerated in Broadmoor where he died three months later.

Pictures

1. Eldwick Sanatorium opened in 1900 and closed in 1939.
2. Harrison Wainwright.
3. The family lived in Strawberry Cottage on this road where Henrietta, Harrison’s wife, served teas to weekend walkers. After the tragedy their home was demolished.
4. To Eldwick from Shipley Glen.
5. Deceased estate notices for Charles and Harrison in the 1921 London Gazette.
... See MoreSee Less

Comment on Facebook

What a terrible tragic story.

Love the old photos Shipley Glen road and Eldwick Beck Bottom easily recognisable. No idea where the sanatorium was though.

So interesting and great pics!

Load more
Aug 172016
 
Great Canal Journeys - Saltaire - With Timothy West & Prunella Scales

This Channel 4 programme featuring Saltaire, located on the Leeds Liverpool canal is expected to be broadcast this autumn (2016). UPDATE – Bit earlier than we expected – it was broadcast 31st August 2016 on Channel 4. Link at the bottom of the page. In May Saltaire tour guide and historian Maria Glot was delighted …[Click Here To Read More]

 Posted by at 3:19 pm
Aug 172016
 

Some of the barges and the boat people that navigated the Leeds Liverpool canal during the time of Titus Salt. 1861 Name of Boat 1. Hoboara – The Industry Of Shipley….. Occupants:  Joseph Illingworth, married aged 34 years – master of canal barge, born in Holbeck, Leeds Thomas Mason, unmarried aged 35  – mate on canal barge, …[Click Here To Read More]

 Posted by at 3:04 pm
Apr 222016
 
SALTS WALKS & TALKS MAKING HISTORY FOR 20 YEARS

Saltaire’s favourite historian, Clive Woods, and Maria Glot guided for the first time as “Salts Walks” on 10 April 1996 from Anne and Roger Heald’s Saltaire Gift & Visitor Centre on Victoria Road. This inspired venture later became Saltaire’s first networked tourist information centre and ran until 2006. That first guided walk on that Sunday …[Click Here To Read More]

 Posted by at 1:57 pm
Top
Wordpress Social Share Plugin powered by Ultimatelysocial