By Order of Sir Titus Salt Bart
- Throughout the village, cleanliness, cheerfulness, and order must reign supreme.
- Only persons who are good, obedient, honest and hardworking will be allocated a house in each village.
- Anyone caught in a state of inebriation will immediately be evicted.
- All persons living in Saltaire will enjoy ‘comfort utility, healthfulness and convenience. Each house and its immediate exterior is to be kept clean by, or at the expense of the occupant.
- Any damage to any of the houses or fixtures, must be made good by the occupant, otherwise the cost thereof will be deducted from the weekly wage……….
- No animals to be kept in the village including chickens, rabbits, or pigeons.
- The founder will make a periodical inspection of the village & housing…………..
- No washing to be hung out to dry in front or behind any of the properties, or in the vicinity of the village.
- The founder would recommend that all inmates wash themselves every morning, but they shall wash themselves at least twice a week, Monday morning and Thursday morning; any found not washed will be fined 3d for each offence.
- All children living or working in the village must attend school half time, up to the age of twelve years and learn reading, writing and arithmetic.
- None of the inmates…..shall underlet the tenement assigned to him……or take any person to lodge or reside therein, without the written permission of the founder……..
- Gatherings or loitering of more than eight persons in the streets is strictly forbidden.